Reyes’ overtime goal sends St. Lawrence past No. 8 Princeton in ECAC Hockey quarterfinals


Warning: mysql_fetch_object(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/uscho/new/wp-content/themes/uscho/loop-single-8.php on line 78

PRINCETON, N.J. — Justine Reyes scored at 5:37 of overtime as St. Lawrence defeated No. 8 Princeton 4-3 on Sunday afternoon in the deciding Game 3 of an ECAC Hockey quarterfinal series.

Brooke Webster scored twice and added an assist, and Amanda Boulier and Hannah Miller tallied two points each to lead the offense for the Saints.

For the first time in the best-of-three series, Princeton got on the board first, as Cassidy Tucker scored at 8:18 of the first period for her 10th goal of the season. Karlie Lund won the offensive draw back to Morgan Sly, who fed Tucker in the slot for the 1-0 lead.

St. Lawrence tallied the next two goals as Webster scored at 5:43 and 12:09 of the second stanza. Miller tallied the only assist on Webster’s first of the game, a shot that came from the left side and slowly trickled in behind Kimberly Newell.

Then, with the Saints on the two-man advantage, Webster’s second tally was the result of a flurry of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. Kennedy Marchment and Boulier took advantage of a tired Tigers penalty-kill unit and found Webster right on the doorstep for the tap in goal.

Molly Contini tied the game at 15:36, as Jaimie McDonell won a battle along the boards and moved the puck to Emily Achterkirch at the point. Grace Harrison stopped the initial shot by Achterkirch, but the puck slithered through and waited in the crease for Contini to poke it over the goal line.

Boulier regained the lead again for the Saints at 4:22 of the third, as Webster and Miller set up Boulier for a rocket from the right point that sailed through a crowd and into the top left corner of the net. Officials went to video review to determine if the puck was deflected by Kennedy Marchment in front with a high stick, but the on-ice call was confirmed, and the goal was allowed to stand.

With the Tigers on the power play for the final 1:56 if the game, Coach Jeff Kampersal pulled Newell in favor of the extra attacker to gain a six-on-four advantage. Princeton won the offensive zone faceoff with 33 seconds left and cycled the puck until Molly Strabley found McDonell, who fired a shot that was tipped by Contini with 15 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime.

Princeton carried the majority of the offensive momentum through the first five minutes of the overtime session, but Grace Harrison held off the Tigers until Kayla Nielsen and Jenna Marks set up Reyes for the game-winner.

Harrison made 24 saves in the victory for St. Lawrence. Newell made 32 saves for Princeton.