A night after Lake Superior sprang three quick third-period goals in a 7-3 victory, Ohio State was bolstered by three third-period goals in a come-from-behind 4-2 victory in Value City Arena Saturday night.

The victory gives Ohio State its first win of the season going into a tough nonconference series at Denver next weekend. Lake Superior has a pair of exhibitions next weekend at home. Both teams are 1-2-1.

Ohio State benched senior captain Zach Pelletier and senior defenseman Nick Biondo. In their stead were sophomore Mathieu Picard, and freshmen defensemen Mike Folkes and Sean Duddy.

“Those young guys gave us a little bit of a spark, gave us the energy we need,” Ohio State coach John Markell said. “It is great that I can move guys in and out like that, but the guys figured it out — you keep it simple. It is not a difficult game.”

Lake Superior got the first lead when defenseman Steven Kaunisto’s slapshot from the blue line beat Ohio State goaltender Dustin Carlson seven minutes into the first period.

Most of the first period, however, was played in the neutral zone as both teams only had eight shots and Lake Superior committed the only penalty. The second period was a bit different. Both teams needed the play of their young goaltenders to preserve their chances.

Ohio State tied the game going into the second intermission when freshmen center and Carolina Hurricanes prospect Zac Dalpe scored on a tip-in of Kyle Reed’s slapshot. The goal was the first of the college career for Dalpe.

Lake Superior took the lead early in the third period when fourth-line forward Zac MacVoy’s slapper beat the glove of Carlson seven minutes into the third. But Ohio State took control the rest of the way.

Less than two minutes later, Buckeye forward Patrick Schafer drew a checking-from-behind penalty from Chad Nehring. On the ensuing power play, Dalpe set up Buckeye senior forward Corey Elkins, who deposited the puck into the net to tie the game.

Twenty-four seconds later, Ohio State’s John Albert scored the game winner on a Corey Toy shot that was left by the stick of goaltender Pat Inglis. With time running out, Buckeye defenseman Shane Sims, who was important in killing penalties all night for Ohio State, committed a holding-the-stick penalty. Lake Superior was unable to capitalize or get a shot on net.

In the final minute, Dalpe finished his night with an empty-net goal. Dalpe was coming off Friday’s game in which he had eight shots.

“I thought we were in the game all the way until they got the empty-net goal,” Lake Superior head coach Jim Roque said. “We had a big opportunity. We were tied in the third on the road trying to get a road sweep, which is tough in this league. … If you told me coming here Thursday, ‘You are 1-1 in the third to sweep,’ I would say, ‘Let’s just play the last 20 minutes.'”

“We stuck to the simple part of the game, pucks down low, and try to get it behind the net and it wore (Inglis) down,” Dalpe said. “In the CCHA, when it is your first goal, it is a pretty exciting one, defiantly worked for it. Had a lot of chances in the last couple games, but I waited it out and hopefully get on a roll with it.”

Both teams switched their goaltending from the night before. Roque has gone with a two-goaltender system in the first four games. Brian Mahoney-Wilson had an impressive outing against Ohio State where he made 37 saves and allowed three shots.

“Until one emerges to be the guy, yes (I am going to stay with the two-goaltender system),” Roque said. “How can you not play Brian after last night, and it is not like Pat had a 4-0 shutout and stood on his head, so neither guy has showed me yet they’re ready to be the guy.”

For Ohio State, junior Joseph Palmer has been the starting goalie since being a freshman; however, after two consecutive games of being pulled, Carlson is showing himself to be a challenger to Palmer’s spot. Markell said he would need to evaluate Carlson further, but called his younger goalie’s performance “good.”