Here’s a recap of What I Believe going into Friday’s games. This is what I Believe, and not necessarily what the numbers may be because I can not, and have not, and will not have, run all the possible combinations. There may be a scenario which will make me retract a statement. If that is the case, then I apologize for any misdirection or confusion.
– I Believe That 11 teams have clinched spots in the NCAA Tournament. Those teams are Denver, Miami, Wisconsin, Boston College, North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Bemidji State, Yale, Alabama-Huntsville, the ECAC Champion and the Atlantic Hockey Champion.
– Michigan, Maine, Boston University, Union, St. Lawrence, Brown, RIT, Sacred Heart, Air Force, and Canisius all have to win its tournament to get into the tournament.
– I Believe That New Hampshire, Minn.-Duluth and Alaska are the only idle teams that have a chance at an at-large berth. All other idle teams have now been eliminated (I have already pronounced Bemidji State in)
– I Believe That there are five spots open with a number of combinations. The teams that are going after the five spots are New Hampshire, Minn.-Duluth and Alaska (mentioned above), Ferris State, Northern Michigan, Cornell (should it not win the ECAC), Vermont (should it not win Hockey East). The five spots will decrease to possible low of three spots should Michigan win the CCHA and/or BU or Maine win HE.
– I Believe That the maximum number of schools per conference into the tournament are AHA – 1, CCHA – 5, CHA – 2, ECAC – 3, Hockey East – 4, WCHA – 5.
– I Believe that Denver and Miami have sewn up number one seeds. Wisconsin, North Dakota, Boston College and St. Cloud are battling for the remaining two number one seeds.
I’ll be popping in and out of the Game Blogs with my thoughts throughout Friday evening.
See you at the games!